Monday, November 16, 2009

Spooky Evening at the Skyline

I'm seriously way behind in updating this blog with details on parties and events, so I figured I should try to get everyone up to speed. As our 75 Bars DC experiment continues, I'm finding time to check out other parties that you should know about. That's why I wanted to post a few words about this year's Capitol Skyline - Metromix Halloween Party.

Halloween was definitely more special to me this year because I was sharing it with Joelle and we had decided to team up for our costume. If you're looking at the photo and wondering what in the world we were trying to be, you probably don't watch True Blood on HBO. It's okay, I didn't either until Jo came up with the idea. Anyhow, I'm Bill Compton, the vampire and Jo is Sookie Stackhouse, his "woman." The show is actually pretty neat and engaging, so it was easy getting behind this costume idea. And those who know the show immediately picked up on us. I think the best part of our look was the Tru Blood bottle Jo created using a photo I printed and some contact paper. It was actually pomegranate tea, but damn did it not look like the bottles of Tru Blood from the show?

So we hit up the Capitol Skyline because my friends Alyssa Shelasky, Spike Mendelsohn and Angie Goff were hosting the Metromix DC party there. Now it seems like every bar, club and hotel hosts some type of halloween party. So it takes some research to figure out which one will actually be "fun." Thankfully the Capitol Skyline was! I spent several Sunday afternoon's at the Skyline pool for Spike's weekly party and had a blast, so I had no reason to think this party would be any different.

I think the thing I like most about the Skyline is they attract a diverse and well put-together crowd. This party had all the makings of a great evening...DJ Flounder, local celebrities, a costume contest and hotel rooms just a few feet away for the buzzed and tired. And almost everyone dressed up. We saw several versions of Superman, a whoopie cushion, Stewie from family guy showing his ass, Billy Mays of Oxi Clean and even Interstate 495. Yes, someone actually dressed up as the freeway.

So when it comes time to start planning your Halloween adventures next year, peek at the Capitol Skyline web site and see what they're offering. If Alyssa and crew do it again, it's sure to be THE Halloween party to attend. Below are a few more shots from the evening and you can see all of them here on Dougvansant.com.



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, November 17, 2009, Anonymous Coach said...

FLOUNDER? Flounder is now a deejay? I knew that kid would make good. WHY NOT?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home