Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pimp my ride

We had a conversation today at work about cars we used to own. My coworker mentioned he used to drive a Honda CRX, which reminded me of my very first car.

When I was 15, probably six months from being able to drive, I spotted a black 1986 Honda CRX at a local dealership in Dover. I just had to have that little spitfire of a car as my first ride ever.

I'll never forget the days of running around Dover with friends huddled in the hatchback (it was a two seater). It was known as the Spidie-mobile because of the license plate and was one of the coolest little cars a 16-year old could have back in the day. Granted, kids are driving Audi's and BMW's today...but who cares.

So what cars have you owned over the years? Do a google search and see if you can find them online. I've compiled a small photo list of my past rides including my current sled here in DC. But I'd love to hear what others have owned and what you have to say about the cars of your past.

1986 Honda CRX


1991 Isuzu Amigo


1992 Honda Prelude


1999 Jeep Cherokee


2005 Mercedes C230

4 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, April 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first car was a 1967 Mustang. That was back when you could tell one car from another. Today they all look alike. The Mustang was great, 289 V-8 engine. Gas was under .50 a gallon though. I also has a Maverick, Granada and Dodge Dart. All great automobiles.

 
At 11:11 AM, July 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first car: 1937 Chevy. Blew the engine because I didn't believe the oil pressure gauge.
Next, and my favorite car: 1951 Chevy hardtop convertible. Favorite because it was "cozy." Great car to make out in.
3rd: '55 Chevy Impala convertible. Hot car. V8 with Powerpack. Good drag racer. Drove to Miami and back in that baby.
#4: My most beautiful car. '58 Chevy Impala converible. Black w/ white top, fender skirts, lowered, continental kit. Oh! Dated my future wife in this one. The three of us spent many hours at Port Mahon. Man I miss that car!
Could go on but these are my fondest memory cars. Like all of us, don't we wish we had them today?!

 
At 11:40 AM, July 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mommers is right. Can't tell one car or maker from another nowadays. Some today are downright ugly. Those golden oldies had style and design creativity. The annual introduction of the new models was a big event. The dealers would cover their showroom windows so no one could see the new cars until intro day. Then people would crowd the dealers to see what had changed. Ah yes, gas station 22-cent gas pumped by the attendant, gas wars, 100 octane gas, free oil and water checks, cleaned windshields, and free maps.
The yoots of today may make fun of us old folks, but we had fun and an exciting time they can't even imagine.
Too bad.

 
At 12:27 AM, July 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'53 Plymouth. Ugly. 100 horse engine. But FAST! Hot rods loved to challenge it, but got their pipes blown off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home