Friday, January 08, 2010

A Grand Opening at Recess

Since we're in the process of catching up after the holidays, I figured it was time I update you all on a new nightlife venue opening in downtown DC. Just prior to Christmas, I had the pleasure of attending the soft-opening of Recess Lounge on December 16th.

Recess occupies the space that was once Geisha Lounge just one block from the White House. The location couldn't be more perfect for this type of club because of the recent arrival of the W Hotel and it's nocturnal contributor, POV. Each of these venues cater to a well-heeled DC crowd and offer patrons a little bit of everything along the 15th Street corridor. And with the addition of Recess, we now have several nightlife establishments all within walking distance of the K Street clubs like Lima, Tattoo, Lotus and Park at Fourteenth. Downtown DC has never looked so good! Or vibrant for that matter.

I've been to my fair share of opening parties. They usually dress up the clubs to look extra special and bring in "VIP" guests. The problem is most of us have no idea who the "VIP" guests actually are. And the night following the opening is usually a letdown; a true taste of how the club will operate. But Recess was different. They did bring in cocktail tables for guests to mingle near and converse over drinks. But the club operated and looked pretty much like you'd expect a finely tuned venue. Had I not known this was the first few nights of operation, I would never have been able to tell. An awful lot of thought was put into making this operation run smoothly...and it showed.

The venue itself can be described in one word. Beautiful! It's dressed in dark woods salvaged from centuries old walnut trees. There's a bar the entire width of the lounge near the front and a DJ booth dead center toward the rear. The entire room features an abstract lighting feature that can change based on the mood, music or whatever else your heart desires. There are tables and couches that run along one side and split the DJ booth, but most of this lounge is a dance floor. After spending several nights inside this venue, I can best describe it as a very large recording studio. The sound and acoustics are pretty much what every studio is designed to be and from what I can tell, there are zero flaws in the Recess system. I've only been in one other lounge that can match that type of sound quality and it's the venerable Cielo in NYC.

Owners Fisayo Esconsay and Brandon Howard, former DC club promoters, tell me Recess was designed around the music. I like to hear this! They also tell me they'll have at least one night that features house, one that features hip hop/top 40 and another that will cater to the smooth R&B and jazz fans. One thing is certain, you'll have a hard time standing still in this joint.

But above all of the promotional sounding verbage, high-end sound and fancy cocktails created by a bevy of mixologists, Recess comes with class and soul. Most of the nightlife venues I spend my evenings in are dressed up nice and have the latest and greatest gadgets in sound. But very few are able to touch each individual personally. From the moment I walked into Recess to the moment I closed my tab at the bar, they made me feel like they really cared to have my business. Both Brandon and Fisayo mingled with their patrons like everyone walking through the door was a friend. It's this attention to their customers happiness that will make this lounge one of the better in our vast District of a nocturnal abyss. I hope each of you will take the time to visit Recess because the people behind this lounge are dedicated to their concept and it shows.

The top photo and those below are part of a larger photo gallery I created from the soft-opening party. As you'll see, the design and colors in Recess make it very easy to shoot photos and very easy to capture the vibe of this beautiful club. If you'd like to see more, check out the complete gallery, otherwise enjoy your Recess...







Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, January 11, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there too! I think it was the 16th though! I met the event planners (tadoo??) who were smokin hot and really knew how to run a smooth operation!! they were always smiling but definitely hard at work!! kudos to the owners for finding those ladies!! we'll be there again and again

 
At 11:02 AM, January 12, 2010, Blogger DVS said...

It was the 16th Anon... Got my dates confused. I agree with you though... Tadu and crew helped throw a great party. I will be there again and again as well. =)

 
At 12:44 PM, January 12, 2010, Anonymous Tadu Yimam said...

Well, on behalf of KTR Events, thank you for the compliments, gents. Doug - Thank you for capturing the night in your thoughtful words and brilliant photography. We will absolutely plan to utilize your skills (again and again :) - Tadu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home